5 Ways to Make More Money as an Esthetician
5 Ways to Make More Money as an Esthetician
Am I the only one that used to look at the projected salaries of estheticians and worry that I wasn't making the right choice?
Who knew just a few years into my career I'd be making six figures working just 3 days a week. Take that, statistics.
I know that my experience and story isn't everyone's; but the honest truth is, it could be. Here are 5 ways to make more money as an esthetician.
If you don't have an online shop, you are seriously missing out on potential income. Consumers love the convenience of online shopping.
Once you have your online shop, make sure you create a catalog on Facebook so that you can tag your items on social media.
LAST MINUTE APPOINTMENTS
Historically consumers are driven by "last chance" opportunities. When there is only one of something, they are more prone to jump on the opportunity because of the sense of urgency. Each Sunday I recommend posting a few openings you have for the week!
HOW TO USE SOCIAL MEDIA
This may seem obvious, but are you using social media to its fullest potential? Here are some obvious, and not so obvious ways social media can generate income:
- Use hashtags that are relevant to your area: city names, universities, city nicknames, sorority/fraternity names, etc. Hashtags are used to attract those that you're interested in following you, so I don't recommend using broad tags, for example: #california #estheticianlife #esthetics #facewaxing - although these tags are technically relevant to your business, they aren't going to be used by your customers. A more effective alternative would be #sandiegobrides #sandiegospa #sandiegowaxing.
- Post on your stories regularly and don't be scared to show your personality. I truly believe the sterile business posts with no personality or opinion have exited the building. Now we're seeing more than ever that consumers want to engage, and are drawn to a story, an individual, a connection. So anything you can do to connect with your potential customers is key. That being said, it's also important to know that one of the most important aspects of marketing is repetition and regurgitation. Post your products regularly and showcase how to use them, explain who they are best for, and don't forget to tell them why they need it!
- Link your shop and create a booking link on your Instagram page. It's all about the convenience of a push of a button.
If you're not selling retail you are missing out BIG. Retail can be a huge money maker. Here are some ideas on how to sell more retail and how to attract customers:
- Make sure you have an online shop, and make sure you are doing SEO for every listing, every page, and every photo. SEO means search engine optimization and this is how you will be able to rank or be seen on Google. Super important! With great SEO you could be selling your products across the country to people you've never even met! Need help with SEO? Here is a SEO Starter Guide
- Create customized gift boxes and share on social media. And forgive me, I am going to get real honest right now. Please throw away the organza bags. When I am talking about gift boxes I am referring to visually appealing, curated boxes that are strategically made and sell a story to the consumer. The other thing about one of a kind gift boxes, is like I mentioned above, it creates an urgency to purchase.
BECOME AN EXPERT IN ONE THING
This might seem obvious, but if you specialize in one thing, you will eventually become highly sought after, and in the long term, make more money. For example, I specialize in unique Korean spa treatments. My clients come to me because they are adventurous, and want to try something new. This is my schtick and nobody else around me does anything like it, and so it makes me stand out.
Some other tips because I couldn't stop at 5.
- Don't discount your talent. Giving a discount is doing your business, your brand, and yourself, a disservice. I understand the desire to create enticing offers to build your books, but it's not a great plan in the long term.
- Have some experience under your belt? Write an E-book and self publish on Amazon!
- Once you're established, start training other estheticians
- Become a mentor and consultant for spa businesses
This industry is all about being creative and thinking outside the box. We are so fortunate to work in an industry that allows us the freedom to create and explore.